Sunday, February 13, 2011

Literary Journalism.

While reading this week's assigned Zinsser chapter, I learned that a tape recorder is usually undesirable for these types of interviews because they make the person being interviewed nervous - especially if they don't know the writer well to begin with - and they have a tendency to malfunction.  It is suggested that a person take a pen and paper with them to an interview that way they can filter the important information from the conversation immediately.  If the person is talking to fast to record it by hand, Zinsser simply suggests asking him or her to pause and give the writer time to catch up.  It all sounds so simple, but it's brilliant!  I would rather be safe than sorry and this is the way to ensure that; just like writing problems out step-by-step while doing math equations.
 
So, here’s my practice conversation; My husband came home from class two days ago and showed me some “bug bites” that he woke up with, asking me if I’d been bitten at all while I slept.  I said that I hadn’t, so he quickly moved on to a new subject, forgetting about the bites as if they were insignificant now.  That evening, after he’d gone to his second class, he came back home with the right half of his upper lip swollen and I asked what happened. 

“I don’t know,” he said. “I looked in the mirror when I got in the car and noticed it. No one said anything to me in class, so I don’t know when it started.”

“No one said anything to you in class?” I said. “Then, it must’ve happened quickly.  What do you think is wrong?”

“I must be allergic to something I ate.  I can’t think of what it would be, though, because I haven’t eaten anything different today.  I mean, I took some of your cranberry pills.  That’s all I can think of.”

“Well, do you want to go to the hospital? You’re starting to look like Hitch from that Will Smith movie!”

“I know.  I don’t think it’s that serious, though.  I mean, I can breathe just fine and it doesn’t hurt.  I think I just wanna wait it out.”

“Okay.  Do you want to go get some allergy medicine?”

“I don’t want to leave the house looking like this. Would you mind getting some for me?”

“Sure.  I’ll just run to Albertson’s.  Do you want anything else?”

“No.  Thank you for doing this for me.  This really sucks!”

“I know; I’m sorry.  I wish we knew what exactly was wrong.  Alright, I’ll be back soon.  I love you.”

“I love you, too. Please hurry.”

I think this is one of the more enjoyable ways to write for me.  I really feel like the characters should be the ones to tell the story because they add another dimension to things – plus it’s more straightforward and I don’t have to fuss over grammar because I’m writing just the way the words were said.  I’m looking forward to turning in my paper!



No comments:

Post a Comment